RD - B Side
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

"Sometimes meaningless gestures are all we have"

terça-feira, abril 16, 2002
A conversation with Maren Ord

By MIKE ROSS -- Edmonton Sun

Maren Ord has been forced to quit her part-time job at Treasured Memories.

What's bad for the fine scrapbook industry is good for the music business. On the heels of her debut album, Waiting, the 20-year-old pop singer has just been way too busy with music. With tours shaping up for fall, Ord performs Aug. 6 at the Festival of the Worlds, a series of free concerts at Kinsmen Park happening during the World Championships in Athletics.

Ord first came to our attention after winning a Power 92 song contest with a song called Sarah, which was not about Sarah McLachlan, despite similarities in the two singers. However, like clockwork, Ord played Sarah's Lilith Fair - on the third, or "shopping mall" stage - and was soon signed to Sarah's record label, Nettwerk.

With the full support of her large, musical, Mormon family, Ord says she's delighted to be able to make a career out of the dream she's had since she was a child.

Here's a look at Edmonton's own Maren Ord:

1. What was the last movie that you saw and loved?

The Wedding Singer. That was a long time ago, but it was one of my favourite movies. It's like the ideal Maren movie.

2. What was the first album you owned?

I bought the Reality Bites soundtrack.

3. What was the last book you read?

The Work and the Glory.

4. What's your favourite hangout?

My sister Rachel's house. She's got two cute little kids and it's just a fun place to go and other family members go there, too.

5. Do you have a pet peeve?

When someone asks me to play a song for them and then they start talking with their friend or something while I'm trying to sing for them. I think that's kind of rude.

6. What's your idea of the perfect Sunday?

Wake up, go to church, come home, spend time with my family. We try to have family dinners every Sunday. Actually, every Sunday is the perfect Sunday for me

7. What's your favourite food?

I really like to eat wraps, with the rice and vegetable stir-fry. I think it's just a stage I'm going through.

8. What was the worst job you ever had?

I haven't really had many jobs, but my least-favourite chore is cleaning bathrooms.

9. What gadget or gizmo can you not live without?

I just got myself a Palm Pilot and I really need that. It keeps me organized.

10. Do you have a hobby or habit that you think would surprise people?

A lot of people don't know that I like to play soccer. I play on a team here in Edmonton.

11. What's your favourite piece of clothing?

My "hoodie."

12. What would you change about yourself if you could?

I'd like to be a lot more firm, physically speaking.

13. Whom do you most admire?

My parents. I really look up to them. They're a really good example to me. They've been the most influential in my life.

14. What is your greatest extravagance?

My art supplies. They really are expensive, but I love to do it.

15. Have you ever been mistaken for another celebrity?

No, but my sisters have been mistaken for me.

16. Do you have a favourite quotation?

"Remember who you are and what you stand for."

17. What is your greatest weakness?

Chocolate.

18. If you could be reincarnated, who or what would you like to be?

I don't really believe in reincarnation. It's not in my basic beliefs.

19. If you had to go back in time to live in another decade, which one would you choose?

I think it would be neat to have been around when Mozart was around, just in that day and age where you got to dress up in fun clothes. If I was well off, of course.

20. If you could choose one duet partner from all the singers in the world, who would it be?

Fran Healy from Travis. That's my favourite band. I think he has one of the most beautiful voices ever.



posted by RENATO DOHO 12:56 AM
. . .
Comments:


. . .